Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQs

How is the Engineering Management Degree different from the MBA?

Please see “Degree Comparisons

Is there an application deadline?

No, admission to the program is on a rolling basis. However, applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible since it takes at least 3 weeks for the application process to be completed.

Once the application and supporting documents have been submitted, how long does it take for the admission process to be completed

It generally takes 3 weeks for the process to be completed.

Is the Engineering Management degree part of the School of Engineering degree?

Yes, the University of Kansas, School of Engineering offers the Master of Science degrees in Engineering Management, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer Science etc.

Do I have to be admitted to take an EMGT class?

Yes. You must be admitted as either Degree Seeking or Non-Degree seeking.

Does my application have to be completed before I enroll?

Yes. Your application must be complete and you must be admitted to the program as either degree or non-degree seeking

Does EMGT require the GMAT or GRE?

No. Other graduate programs often require these as a way to measure qualifications of applicants with diverse backgrounds. Since EMGT students have a common core of math and science, the GMAT and GRE are not required. If you already have these exam scores, however, you may include them with your application materials, especially if you have high scores and need to offset a low gpa.

What undergraduate degrees are acceptable?

EMGT requires a Bachelor of Science in engineering or related science degree from an accredited institution. Engineering technology degrees are considered only with high grade point averages (e.g., 3.8 or higher) and with substantial experience (8-10 years). Minimally, you should have 6-8 hours calculus, 3 hours differential equations, 6 hours physics and 3 hours chemistry. If your gpa is 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale), you may be admitted on a regular basis. Students with gpa’s between 2.5 and 2.99 may be admitted on a probationary or provisional basis. All graduate students must maintain a 3.0 gpa or higher.

What if I don’t have Calculus or Differential Equations?

EMGT offers a course for students who need additional coursework to complete the Calculus and Differential Equations requirement. Please contact the Academic Advisor (913-897-8560) for more information.

May I take classes if I don’t have two years experience?

You may take up to 6 credit hours as non-degree seeking. However, to be admitted as non-degree seeking you must have at least one year of professional experience.

Is two years of work experience required to be admitted as degree seeking

Yes. Just as your technical undergraduate courses are a necessary prerequisite to technical graduate work, so is experience critical for EMGT classes which combine technology with management. A minimum of two years experience is essential to understanding and participating in class discussions, completing class projects and papers, and immediately applying course concepts to your work. The expertise and diversity of our students from over 100 Kansas City employers are important strengths of our program.

If I take courses as Non-Degree seeking, will these courses transfer when I change to degree seeking?

Courses taken as Non-Degree A will transfer.

In order to change from Non-Degree seeking to degree seeking will I have to reapply?

Yes you will need to submit a degree seeking application and all required documents.

Are non-degree seeking students guaranteed acceptance to the degree seeking program?

No they must meet the same requirements for admission as other degree seeking students.

Does the EMGT program accept transfer credits?

Up to 6 credit hours can be transferred to the program from another institution or another engineering program at KU. Please contact the academic advisor at 913-897-8560 for details.

Are new students accepted to the program in the Summer?

No, new students are only accepted in the Fall and Spring semester.

How many classes should I take?

Most part-time students begin with one class to become familiar with the time and effort required by a graduate class. If you work more than forty hours a week, have some work-related travel, and/or have young children, one class per semester is generally ample. A general rule of thumb is to allow 1½ to 3 hours per credit hour for homework each week (e.g., 10 hours per week for a three-credit-hour class) plus travel and class time. If you miss more than two consecutive classes, it becomes difficult to catch up.

If you are admitted on a provisional basis, it is particularly important for you to not take on more than you can handle. Provisional students are not allowed to withdraw or drop for their first two or four classes and a grade below a B will cause dismissal from graduate school.

We understand that you and your family are first priority, your job is second, and graduate studies are often third. Juggling these multiple commitments can sometimes be as challenging as the coursework itself. Timely communication with your instructor and/or the department is important if you fall behind or need to withdraw (in order to minimize drop fees and other penalties).

How do distance education courses work?

The type of media used—streaming video, videotaping, Internet lecturer notes, chatrooms, CD ROMs, cassette—depends on the particular class. All classes have the same lecture as on-site classes and have lecture notes available through a Web site. Refer to the E-Learning page for more information.

What type of student makes a good distance education student?

Because distance students work in an environment that is very unstructured compared to a traditional classroom, they must be self-motivated and resourceful.

May I change from on-site to distance during a semester?

If you know at the time you enroll that you meet distance education requirements, it’s better to discuss your circumstances with the instructor, select one or the other, and remain in that mode for the duration of the semester. Among other reasons, many classes have team projects and frequent or lengthy absences make it difficult to operate as a team. Alternatively, distance students can team up with other distance students to form a team.

Are there additional costs for distance students?

Additional tuition and fees are currently pending for distance courses. Distance students must also have as a minimum software compatible with Microsoft Office 2000 Professional (e.g., Word, Excel, Powerpoint), e-mail, and high-speed internet access.

What’s the purpose of meeting with a faculty adviser?

After your application for admission has been approved by EMGT and the School of Engineering, an academic advisor will be assigned by the EMGT Director. You should contact your adviser to work out a Plan of Study.

How long does it take to complete the EMGT degree?

The average completion time is three to four years for part-time students, but you have up to seven years to finish. A full-time student can finish the degree in five semesters (including summers).

FAQ’s Specific to International Students

Is the Edwards Campus based in Lawrence?

No, the Edwards campus is in Overland Park which is about 50 minutes from Lawrence.

Where do most international students live? In Lawrence or Overland Park?

Most international students live in Lawrence in on campus student housing or off campus. They take the university bus to the Edwards Campus.

How many classes are international students required to take?

International students must take a minimum of 9 credit hours in the fall and spring semester. Enrollment is summer is optional.

Should prospective students on H1B visa submit the domestic or international application?

They must submit an international application.

What is the KU TOEFL code?

It is 6871.

Are international students eligible for any financial aid (scholarships or teaching/research assistantships?

The department does not offer any financial aid to either domestic or international students.

How long does it take for international students to finish the program?

Generally international students finish the program in one and a half to two years.

Is on campus work available for international students at the Edwards Campus?

On campus employment at the Edwards Campus is extremely limited. Most international students find on campus employment on the main campus in Lawrence.

Is the Engineering Management degree a University of Kansas Degree?

Yes, the University of Kansas, School of Engineering offers the Masters of Science degrees in Engineering Management, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer Science etc.

Q&A Videos from our Current Students

Video Linked Image

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today