Continuous Enrollment

Starting in the Spring 2010 semester, all graduate students must be continuously enrolled in the fall and spring semesters. Note that this does not include the summer semester, unless you are a PhD candidate or have a GTA/GRA appointment. This includes part-time programs, but does not include non-degree seeking students.

Request a Leave of Absence – Use this option when you will be returning to your graduate study after one or more semesters. A leave of absence may be granted upon request to the graduate program in advance of leave. Leaves may be granted in cases of illness, emergency, to pursue family responsibilities, or to pursue full-time activities related to long-range professional goals. The time taken for a leave of absence does not count against the time limit for earning the degree. However, if the total time for the leave extends more than five years, you will lose your place in the program and must reapply for admission.

To request a leave of absence, please contact Parveen Mozaffar, Academic Advisor, EMGT at 913-897-8560, who will submit a Progress-to-Degree form. You will need to provide the information requested on the Progress-to-Degree form, which is available at: 


Request to Voluntarily Discontinue – Use this option if you do not plan to return to your graduate program in the School of Engineering. This means that you voluntarily resign from a program by requesting discontinuance. If you choose to return at a later date, you must reapply for admission. Discontinuance is requested through your department or program. Again, you will need to provide your departmental with the information requested in the Progress to-Degree form, which is available at:


Q&A Videos from our Current Students

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today